Once again it's been awhile since I've updated my blog, but things have been real busy this spring. I thought I would take a min. to share a recent repair job I finished. I guy that comes to a local jam session I attend, had broken his Mandolin head a few weeks ago. He took it to another repair shop and thought it was fixed, until he was playing it at the jam and it snapped again. He thought because it had been repaired before and re-broke that it was a lost cause. I looked at it and said, "I can fix it".
Here is what it looked like when it came to me:
This is after I disassembled it:
The break wasn't very clean and I had to scrape off the old glue from the previous repair and do my best to get a tight fit to re-glue it. After re-gluing the break, I decided that to make sure this thing would hold I needed to install a hardwood spline through the break to reinforce it. So I routed out a channel and installed a Hard Maple spline.
After sanding the surfaces and cleaning them up this is what I had:
Everything looked good so I proceeded to do the re-finish process, which consisted of staining the wood, spraying a couple wash coats of lacquer, a few coats of Translucent Black colored lacquer, and then a few finish coats of lacquer with a slight bit of vintage amber to match the color of the old lacquer. After all those coats and sanding in between them all it took was a final polish and the repaired area matched the old finish perfectly.
I strung it up and she played as well as she ever did.
I love the challenge of repairing instruments like this, it's very satisfying to have something that is broken and too return it too a playable state.
Show tagged entries
Original content in this work is licensed under a Creative Commons License